Monday 24 February 2014

Evaluation Q5

I used informal, chatty language to make my audience feel involved and make it easy reading. My original intentions were to use formal language on my contents page, however after looking at existing magazines I decided to use language which fits the conventions of a pop magazine.
On my front cover, I used buzz words such as "exclusive" and "win" to draw in my audience.
The way I posed my model was also done to attract my audience. I made sure she was wearing bright lipstick and makeup which would typically be worn on pop-stars which would give my young readers a role model to look up to.

The front cover is colourful and jam-packed with pictures, shapes and different fonts to make it really eye-catching for my young audience. The colour scheme is centred around different shades of pink as pink is stereotypically associated with 12-16 year old girls. Looking back, the green box doesn't look right with the rest of the page so if I did it again I could probably make the box the same as the "exclusive" box so that it creates a red/white house style which also fits with the festive December issue. On reflection, this could also help the sales of the magazine to the industry as they can see how seasonal editions could become very popular; the magazine could also have special editions in the future.

In addition, we chose a model with braces. This was intentional as many young girls feel negative about their appearance and we hoped this would show how you can still be a pop star with braces. In fact, we hoped to connote that care for your health eg teeth, weight etc is important. On reflection, I would like to have pursued this further and had a feature that linked to gossip/ lifestyle that reinforced the idea that you don't have to be as stunning or as thin as Miley Cyrus. Our TA said they did like this image and I thought that was very positive.

Our house style and choices don't target boys in any way. This was a definite decision and I still think it was the right one. Boys have very different interests to girls especially in this age group. I wouldn't change this at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment